The Holy Spirit, who and what does He do?
The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit is God. Acts 5:3.4. The Holy Spirit is not a power, a force or an energy; He is a person. As a person, He has feelings (Eph 4:30), a mind of infinite knowledge (Rom 8:26,27) and a will. He speaks (Acts 13:2) A force or power does not have these attributes and abilities.
The Holy Spirit is at work to do the following:
- He convicts the world of sin, righteousness & judgment. Jn 16:8
- He guides us into all truth. Jn 16:13
- He regenerates. Jn 3:5,6
- He glorifies Christ. Jn 16:14
- He reveals Christ to us and in us. Jn 16:14,15
- He is our leader. Rom 8:14
- He sanctifies.
- He empowers. Acts 1:8
- He fills us. Eph 5:18
- He teaches us to pray. Rom 8:26,27
- He tells us that we are children of God. Rom 8:16
- He produces in us the fruit of the Spirit. Gal 5:22,23
- He gives special supernatural gifts. 1 Cor. 12:8-10
Speaking in tongues?
It refers in general to speaking in languages unknown to the mind of the speaker by the power of the Holy Spirit. On occasions, the hearers may understand what is being said, but usually they do not. The speaker does not speak with his mind or understanding, but with his spirit. In general, he or she speaks not to men but to God ( I Cor. 14:2).
Jesus said, "And these signs will follow those who believe: In my name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues."
You can pray in tongues while traveling, reading, listening to radio. Why speaking in tongues is good.
- He who speaks in an unknown tongues speaks to God. 1 Cor. 14:2
- Speaking in tongues enables us to pray much.
- Speaking in tongues allows us to pray for things and situations we don't know about.
- He who speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself. 1 Cor.14:4
- Speaking in tongues can be a spiritual gift to help others, when translated. it also helps us to train our spirits to hear the voice of God; and to operate in other gifts of the Holy Spirit. 1 Cor. 12:8-10
- We should imitate Paul. 1 Cor. 11:1
- Speaking in tongues refreshes our spirits and our minds. Isaiah 28:11-12
- Speaking in tongues helps God get control of our tongues. We must yield our tongues to God when we speak in tongues. This is a good habit to get into, since the tongue is by nature the most unruly member of our bodies, the most dangerous and the hardest to control. James 3:8